Friday, March 25, 2011

Sun + Good Books = :)

Sup y'all???

I'm taking advantage of this AMAZING weather and hanging out in the grassy area outside my dorm.  Seriously, how great has it felt this week?! I'm just in love with this weather.  It makes me so happy!


[Heyyyy I'm just chillin' out here!]

Last year about this time, Jessica loaned me a book.  I just started it 3 days ago... Whoops.  It was called The Last Sin Eater by Francine Rivers.  I'm sure many of you girls have read it, but if you haven't, seriously you should!  I couldn't put it down from the moment I started reading.


The Last Sin Eater is the fictional story of a 10 year old girl maned Cadi.  She and her family lived in the Appalachian Mountains during the 1850's.  One of the customs of their village was to, after a death, have a man called the "Sin Eater" come and "eat" the sins of the deceased.  They believed that this simple act would carry the dead to heaven.  The Sin Eater was shunned by the village, and only came down from his mountain when the death bell rang and he knew he was needed.  Cadi first encountered this man when her Granny died, and after secretly making eye-contact with him (this was probably the worst thing that could be done in the eyes of the villagers),  she had an instant connection to the man.  Cadi was bound and determined to find out who he was and learn more about him.  When an unknown and unwanted man starts hanging out around the village, Cadi is curious about him as well.  It turns out that this man was sent from the Lord, (Cadi calls him "the man of God") and his actions will change the village forever.  The book has so many twists and turns but in the end shows that there is only one way to heaven -- and it's not by having the Sin Eater take your sins away, but realizing that Jesus already did just that.

Anyways, this book has really made me think.  There are people out there all around us who truly and whole-heartedly believe that their way to heaven is the right way.  It breaks my heart for them.  God put it as simply as possible in the Great Commission:  "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."  It's our job to find these people and teach them the Truth, just like the "man of God" did.  The Last Sin Eater is a great representation of this verse.  For real, read it.  I think it changed my life... not kidding.

Ok enough of the book report.  I think I'm getting sunburnt out here.  Sureeeeee makes me miss the beach!!  

Also, some girls are spray painting signs about 20 feet from me and the wind is carrying the paint STRAIGHT to me.  Cool.  Oh, and now pretty much a whole sorority is taking pictures before the formal.  I feel awkward.  So I'm gonna end this blog NOW.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!

P.S. I just found out that it's a movie!! Check out the trailer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...